torstai 11. syyskuuta 2008

Interview with KYLMÄ SOTA


Kylmä Sota is a finnish band that plays punishing and distorted


Kylmä Sota is a finnish band that plays punishing and distorted d-beat.

This interview was done before their show at TVO june 2006.



Here we have Kylmä Sota with us, please introduce youselves?

Reagan – Vocals

Breznev – Drums

Thatcher – Bass

Ok...where did the idea for forming the band came from?

Breznev: My guess is that it happened in some bar.

Thatcher: As I recall, we were at Klubi with JFK and these people here and we talked about having rehearsals together.

Breznev: The person missing from this interview is JFK, who plays guitar. Right now he is playing Kicker over there.

Reagan: I think we had talked with JFK that we should start a band that would play good music, because all the stuff out nowadays is just utter crap. And the only way to make good music is to imitate Disclose and put some finnish and Scandinavian influences in the mix as well.

Breznev: And as far as how we have been playing, I would say around two or three years.

Thatcher: Two and a half.

How did you came up with the name Kylmä Sota (=Cold War)?

Breznev: Well, we sat to my place drinking with Reagan and had this grand idea; Kylmä Sota! That was the thing.

Has it got any bigger symbolism?

Breznev: I don’t know, I mean, we did want to play this kinda Cold War-era hardcore punk, 80´s style, so that’s about it.

Reagan: We are Kylmä Sota because we are not the current day!

What are the most important musical influences, there was some talk about bands beginning with the letter D…?

Reagan: Disclose, Broken Bones, Discharge, GBH, Shitlickers.

Thatcher: I guess everyone in the band has their own preferences, but that is probably the musical direction we have.

Breznev: Old finnish 82-hardcore and so one...Mellakka and the others, Rattus...

Reagan: Personally I dig Varaus, Vendetta and Damage!

With all of youguys living around the city of Turku, what do you think about this town? It must be a wonderful place, right?

Breznev: Awesome place, sometimes straight from the arse.

Reagan: Even too fine around the summer.

Thatcher: I have moved to Turku in 2001 and I have no complaints. I like this town.

Reagan: Summer is very bad.

Breznev: The bad thing here is that people don’t bother to come to the shows. I am also guilty of that myself.

Thatcher: Yeah, everyone does it...

Reagan: I am guilty of it because crap is crap and there aren’t very good bands in our town.

Turku is being planned as a cultural capital, what do you think of that? Why should it get this title?

Reagan: Well, I don´t know why it should, I think they could sell the whole idea to Helsinki, because the want it so much...

Thatcher: It probably doesn’t effect my life in any way, because its most likely about finer arts and that kinda stuff...

Breznev: Yeah, I can´t see Kylmä Sota getting any cultural grants....

Reagan: Yeah, I doubt that too. So if that cultural town-thing happens here, then…

Thatcher: …It probably consists of hippie nonsense, fiddling and such...

Veikki/Dissect: They don´t support underground culture here at all, they have even prohibited the glueing of posters.

Thatcher: Yeah, think about that.

Reagan: But this place is still better than Tampere! In that town, there is only one place where you can put posters and anywhere else it is strictly prohibited. Have cops ever stopped you while you have been gluing posters here in Turku? I don’t think so.

What is the message of your band?

Breznev: Life sucks, working sucks and everything is wrong. This is pretty along the lines of typical finnish ´82-punk lyrics.

Reagan: Really? I think there are some hints to finnish social democratic party there somewhere…semi-red kinda messages...I would like it to be “either or”...

Breznev: So this is what we have to say about our lyrics.

Thatcher: I think our lyrics have to be in unison with the views of the persons in the band.

Reagan: Meaning that when I sing “Runkkari, vitun runkkari” (= Wanker, bloody wanker), the audience also thinks that “right; we are wankers.”.

Reagan already mentioned something about finnish hardcore. What is the state of finnish hardcore nowadays, please analyze?

Reagan: Pretty stable. People should really filter their stuff more. Good bands are maybe Selfish, Kyklooppien Sukupuutto...

Breznev: Kaivosurma...

About your releases...you have at least one demo out, what else is coming up?

Breznev: We recorded new demo in easter and I really hope it stays as a demo, because it really sucks. The first one is better.

Thatcher: I think its ok...

Breznev: The sound is crappy and the playing is bad. But that might also be a good thing in part.

Reagan: There is probably an EP coming out and the leftover songs are going to some split release.

Thatcher: We are also going to appear in one compilation.

Any last words?

Reagan: Everything is shit, if it doesn´t change into something else!


This interview originally appeared in Chambers Magazine and was conducted in finnish.


Kylmä Sota @ Myspace.

Ei kommentteja: